All media juried exhibit opportunity: "Rabbit Hole"
Entry deadline: May 24, 2017
"Rabbit Hole" is a juried visual art exhibition featuring artworks that focus on the ideas of fantasy, whimsy, imagination, and sense of wonder. All explorations and interpretations of this theme are invited. Artworks in all media, techniques and styles are encouraged. Open to artists 21+ in the St. Louis, MO region.
Art Saint Louis Gallery in downtown St. Louis, MO. Exhibition dates: August 5-September 7, 2017. Free reception on Saturday, August 5, 6-8 p.m.
Open to artists 21 years of age and older living in the St. Louis, Missouri region and surrounding 200-mile radius*.
*ONLY artists from the St. Louis region may enter exhibit--if you live further than 200 miles, we appreciate your interest, but you are not eligible.
The deadline to submit works for this exhibit is Wednesday, May 24, 2017 (11:59 MST).
Justin Henry Miller, artist, Associate Professor of Art, Exhibitions Coordinator, River Campus Art Gallery, Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau, MO; and Sarah Paulsen, artist, Art Instructor, St. Louis Community College Forest Park, and Art Teacher, Miriam Middle School, St. Louis, MO.
Awards of Excellence will be selected by the Jurors for this exhibit and include (1) $250 Best of Show Award of Excellence and (4) non-cash Awards of Excellence. All five Award recipients will then be eligible for our "Honor Awards 2018" ten-artist curated exhibit presented at Art Saint Louis, June 16-July 19, 2018. "Honor Awards 2018" Curator: Artist Brian D. Smith, Professor, St. Charles Community College, Cottleville, MO. Brian is represented by Duane Reed Gallery, St. Louis, MO.
ABOUT THE ONLINE ENTRY PROCESS
The online entry & image upload process does require time, depending on your advance preparedness and image sizes, so please allow yourself adequate time when applying for & submitting your work to this exhibit. Advance registration prior to entry deadline date and image uploads to a Portfolio are highly recommended. There is no fee to register to use the CallforEntry process, but there is an entry fee to register for our exhibit (payable at the end of the whole process for our particular entry).
• Limit THREE (3) original artworks in all media, styles, themes, and techniques that respond to the theme of the exhibit, "Rabbit Hole," as described at top of this call for entry.
• Artwork must be completed between 2014-2017.
• Works not exhibited in any juried exhibit in St. Louis region during 6 months prior to exhibit dates.
• Works not previously exhibited in any exhibit in Art Saint Louis Gallery.
• NO ceiling installed work, this includes installation works.
• NO artworks that sit directly on Gallery floor.
• 2-d works must be framed or, if not framed, pre-approved presentation.
• Works on canvas may be framed, strip-framed or gallery-wrapped.
• Size limits: Final installation size on all 2-d and/or wall-displayed/hung work not to exceed 6' (72") WIDE or 7' (84") HIGH/TALL, this includes frame.
• Weight limit: 2-d works not to exceed 40 lbs.
• Larger sculptures, oversized 2-d work or installation works must be installed by artist under direction of Art Saint Louis Artistic Director.
• We are only able to exhibit pedestal-displayed or wall-hung sculpture--no ceiling installed work and no artworks that sit directly on the Gallery floor. We have a limited number of standard sized pedestals (painted white) & will gladly provide those for display of 3-d work. However, if your 3-d artwork is odd-sized, excessively heavy, or requires a very specific sized pedestal or platform, plan on providing that pedestal or platform yourself, please.
• 3-d works that are extremely fragile, very small, that have a very small bottom/base, are unstable, or do not sit flat on a pedestal are NOT considered.
• NO works that are nailed, pinned, tacked, taped, velcroed, painted on, glued, adhered, or affixed directly to/on Gallery walls. Art Saint Louis uses traditional hanging hardware (hooks/nails) to hang artworks from their wires on the back of the pieces- however, we will not nail or tack an artwork directly to a wall, nor will we velcro, glue or use any other substance to directly apply an artwork to the wall. ALL works must hang by/from standard picture hanging hardware.
• No loose plexi that is clipped or nailed to wall.
• Artist must provide all equipment necessary to present video or artwork requiring electricity, incl. cords, adapters, DVD player, monitor, etc.
JURYING & IMAGE REQUIREMENTS
• The image limit reads 6, and this allows for either one detail or one alternate view per artwork. Do not exceed 3 artworks total or you will be disqualified.
• Limit 2 JPEGs per artwork: 1 full view is required and you may also submit (not required) either 1 detail OR 1 alternate view. IMPORTANT: IF you submit more than 2 images per artwork, the Jurors will NOT be shown your additional images. Any more than 2 images per artwork is not permitted and all additional images will be moved to the "withdrawn" category.
Please make sure that the digital images of your artworks are:
• Cropped to feature only your artwork.
• Free of any watermarks or name imprint.
• Free of a time-date stamp.
• Please do not photograph your artwork framed. If the only image you have of your artwork is of the work framed, use image editing software to crop the frame out of the image.
Upload options for image files:
• File format: JPEG only.
• File dimensions: No smaller than 1920 pixels on the longest size.
• File resolution: 72 ppi/dpi (standard web resolution).
• File size: 5MB maximum.
Upload options for video files:
• File formats: 3GP, WMV, AVI, MOV, ASF, MPG, MP4, M2T, MKV, M2TS.
• Resolution: minimum 620x480; max. 1920x1080.
• Aspect ratio: 4:3 or 16:9.
• Bit rate: recommended above 240 kbps.
• Frame rate: minimum 12 fps, recommended 30 fps. The frame rate of the original video should be maintained without re-sampling. In particular, pulldown and other frame-rate re-sampling techniques are strongly discouraged.
• Codec: h.264, h.263, mpeg-1, mpeg-2, mpeg-4, Windows Media Video, and motion jpeg mpeg-1 muxed, Apple Lossless
• Container: 3gp, asf, avi, mov, mpeg, mpeg-2, mp4, ogg
• Video file size: 100 MB maximum.
Submissions that do not comply with rules of entry will not be presented to the Jurors. Artworks selected for exhibition that are not accurately depicted by JPEGs may be removed from exhibit at Artistic Director's discretion.
Click here for a Step-by-Step guide on how to apply to exhibits through CallForEntry.org
. You can also watch a short video on How to Apply here. The good folks at CallforEntry.org
are better suited to assist you with technical issues with your online entry. For assistance, please contact email@example.com
or 303/629-1166 during weekday business hours only, Mountain Standard Time.
The method by which ALL exhibitions are juried at Art Saint Louis is always a fair and blind/anonymous process. What this means is that at no time before or during the jurying process do our Jurors know the names of entering artists. Exhibit Jurors are presented all entrants' JPEGs in an anonymous digital image presentation and the only information provided to them pertains to the artwork and includes the following: artwork title, year, media, dimensions, and method of presentation (displayed on the wall, sits on a pedestal). To repeat: Jurors are never shown the names of any artists entrants during the jurying process. All artworks that you submit for jurying are presented one after the other in the presentation that the jurors view. So, if you are artist #25, your artworks/entries are in the presentation after artist #24 and before artist #26. From the jurying presentation and information provided about the artworks, the jurors make their selections for the final exhibit. Artwork selection decisions are in part based on a set of specific jurying instructions & criteria relating to the theme of the exhibit as well as specific conditions & rules of the Gallery. This is a FAIR jurying process. Jurors often do not even see names for selected artists until they arrive to the Gallery to view the final exhibit on the Gallery walls, months after an exhibit has been juried.
• All artworks must either have a sale price or be marked Not for Sale (NFS).
• No works marked POR (price on request) will be accepted.
• Artist's sale prices listed with original entry submitted for jurying may not be changed after entry deadline.
• All sales are through Art Saint Louis with 30% donation/commission on work sold to ASL and 70% to artist. Sale price includes Art Saint Louis' commission.
• Artist responsible for delivery of sold work to buyer at end of exhibit.
• Artworks are insured at 50% of retail value during exhibit.
• Artist responsible for work in transit to/from ASL.
FRAMING & FINAL PRESENTATION
• All work selected for exhibit must be delivered to Gallery ready to install.
• All rules listed in "Specifications" category also apply here.
• 2-d work must be framed & equipped with hanging wire stretched across back of artwork.
• NO sawtooth hangers, clip-style frames or keyhole mounts.
• French Cleat mounts okay.
• Works on canvas may be gallery-wrapped, strip-framed or framed.
• 2-d works must be framed or, if not framed, pre-approved presentation.
• NO works that are nailed, pinned, tacked, taped, velcroed, painted on, glued, adhered, or affixed directly to/on Gallery walls.
• No loose plexi that is clipped or nailed to wall.
• Oversized, heavy, or installation work must be installed by artist under direction of Artistic Director.
• Video must be presented on min. 9" monitor; monitor weight not to exceed 20 lbs.
• Artworks requiring electricity: Artist must provide all cords, adapters, cord protectors & equipment required to present work.
• Specific installation requirements must be resolved in advance with directions/devices provided by artist.
• Art Saint Louis reserves the right to install accepted works in a manner deemed necessary for a well-designed exhibition or for security purposes.
• Entry fee is non-refundable.
• Artist may submit up to 3 artworks for the one fee.
• $35 Non- member entry fee; OR
• $20/Art Saint Louis member* entry fee.
Fee payable by credit card through www.CallforEntry.org
or by check to Art Saint Louis, 1223 Pine St., St. Louis, MO 63103.
*MEMBERSHIP IN ART SAINT LOUIS
Membership in Art Saint Louis is open to all. Membership is not required to have your work considered for or juried into this or any ASL exhibit. Membership does have its benefits, including discounts on entry fees--the reduced Art Saint Louis member entry fee for this show is $20 and the non-member fee is $35. Benefits of membership discounts on entry fees to juried exhibits, include a weekly e-newsletter, a Membership & Resource Directory, access to a Members Only area of our website, 10% discount on all art purchases from the ASL Gallery, 10% discounts at our Catalyst Coffee Bar, and more. To download a Membership brochure and join Art Saint Louis today, visit our website (PayPal accepted). As an Art Saint Louis member, you can take advantage of the reduced member entry fee for this & every exhibit. Entry fee payment is a the very end of the entry application process and there are simply two choices: non-member or member.
As a non-profit artists' organization, Art Saint Louis relies on volunteer support to help present our exhibitions. All exhibiting artists are required to volunteer 4 hours per artwork selected of time to the production of this exhibit; artists may contribute food or goods for the opening reception (value $20/per artwork), help out in the Gallery, or may buy-out volunteer time at $5/hour or $20/per artwork. Volunteer sign-up upon delivery of accepted artworks for exhibit. Cash, contributions of goods, or in-kind services are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
Art Saint Louis reserves the right to photograph all exhibited works for web use and publicity purposes. Art Saint Louis reserves the right to use digital images submitted for jurying for publicity of exhibition including but not limited to email, web use and social media. Accepted artists will be required to send high resolution JPEGs of accepted artworks to Art Saint Louis for exhibition records/paperwork and publicity.
DELIVERY of ACCEPTED WORKS FOR EXHIBIT
and PICK-UP of EXHIBITED WORKS at END OF EXHIBIT
• Artworks juried into exhibit are to be hand-delivered to Art Saint Louis Gallery on either Friday, July 21, 2017, 9 a.m.-4:45 p.m. or Saturday, July 22, 2017, 9 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
• Exhibited artworks are to be picked-up at the end of the show on Friday, September 8, 9 a.m.-4:45 p.m. or Saturday, September 9, 9 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
• Exhibited works may not be removed from ASL prior to 9 a.m. Friday, September 8, 2017.
• ALL exhibited works must be removed from Gallery by 3:45 p.m. Saturday, September 9, 2017.
Having submitted artworks for jurying & having paid the entry fee, artist (1) accepts all conditions listed in the aforementioned rules of entry/exhibit prospectus; (2) represents, warrants and covenants that artist is not infringing on any proprietary right, copyright, patent right or any other right of any third party, and artist will indemnify Art Saint Louis and its agents, employees, affiliates, licensors, and business partners harmless from and against any and all costs, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including attorneys' fees)incurred in relation to, arising from, or for the purpose of avoiding, any claim or demand from a third party that the submission, ownership, display, sale or the presentation of your artworks violate any applicable law or regulation, or the rights of any third party. This is legal & binding. Accepted artworks may not be substituted and prices may not be changed once submitted for jurying.
EXHIBIT or ART SAINT LOUIS QUESTIONS?
Robin Hirsch-Steinhoff, Artistic Director, Art Saint Louis, firstname.lastname@example.org
or 314/241-4810 (2#), Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
NEED TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE or HAVE ONLINE APPLICATION QUESTIONS?
• If this is your first time using this online application process, it's in your best interest to register (free) and upload your images into an image Portfolio on CallforEntry.org sooner rather than later, just in case you face any technical challenges or need assistance. That way, when you do want to submit your works for our entry, you should be ready to go and the process will run smoothly-depending on your computer and internet service.
IF you require assistance are having challenges with the online application process, uploading images or any other issue, there is a HELP page you can visit for troubleshooting. Or, the good people at CallforEntry.org
are available Monday through Friday during business hours only and can be reached by email at email@example.com
Rabbit Hole E X H I B I T C A L E N D A R
DEADLINE for entry: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 11:59 MST
NO late entries accepted.
Jurying Notifications: Jury results will be emailed to ALL entering artists by Friday, June 23, 2017.
Accepted works delivered to Art Saint Louis: Friday, July 21, 2017, 9 a.m.-4:45 p.m. or Saturday, July 22, 2017, 9 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
Install exhibit: Wednesday, July 25, 2017, 5-7:30 p.m.
Exhibition Dates: August 5-September 7, 2017
Saturday, August 5, 6-8 p.m.
Pick-up exhibited works: Friday, September 8, 9 a.m.-4:45 p.m.
OR Saturday, September 9, 9 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
Questions? Robin Hirsch-Steinhoff, Artistic Director, Art Saint Louis,
Art Saint Louis & Catalyst Coffee Bar
1223 Pine Street, St. Louis, MO 63103
Hours: M-Fri 7 a.m.-5 p.m., Sat. 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Closed Sundays & major holidays